Old 07-15-20, 11:52 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Here is a non-disprovable point : i have the impression that you are arguing for the sake of argument.
The simple single fact is that strobe lights are illegal in most areas of North America. It's not just their brightness level, which is often ridiculously high but also their high rate of flashing that other road users find so objectionable.

Ah, check this out. Ontario, Canada.

https://imgur.com/j1W9xzM

excerpt:

"
CLOSE

Posted by
u/designatedcultmember
4 months ago

Strobe Lights Update: Flashing lights on the front of bikes is ILLEGAL

DiscussionFour months ago I wrote a post about the dangers of strobe lights in public spaces, and listed some of the things that have triggered my own photosensitive epilepsy while outside. As I stated in that post, flashing lights can cause seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy and this always has a risk of death attached to it. One of the main problems I was having was with strobe lights that are affixed on bicycles. They are everywhere.

After a rather long chain of emails, and the advice of councilors and ministries , I emailed the Ministry of Transportation asking about how we can put tighter restrictions on flashing lights on the street. They emailed me back saying that there are already restrictions on this, and anybody who has affixed flashing lights of any kind on the front of their bike is breaking the law.

( A screenshot of the full email is here: https://imgur.com/j1W9xzM )

An excerpt:

"In terms of lamps on bicycles, I would like to point out that bicycles are required to carry a type of headlamp on the front that displays a white or amber light in order to be visible at night and in adverse weather conditions, similar to the requirement for headlamps on motor vehicles. This requirement is set out in subsection 62 (17) of the Highway Traffic Act. That section, in subsection (17.1), also requires a red lamp or reflector on the rear of the bicycle. However, only the rear red lamp is permitted to display alternating or flashing light*.*"

Cheers