View Single Post
Old 07-24-19, 12:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Too many people "dabble" in things for fitness. You have to get consistent enough at something so you can get strong enough at it that you can burn more in a given time period.

At lunch today, in an hour, I burned 900kj. Since I've worked long enough at bike training, that was mostly fat burn. Got off the bike and was completely satiated by a salad with grilled chicken and bit of croutons. Didn't even feel super hungry.

People who dabble and do stupid "50 pounds on the leg curl machine while checking Facebook" at the gym won't burn ****.

Fitness involves at least a mild bit of discomfort.

I don't think people realize how few calories they burn in 30min or in an hour for some of their "workouts" and "walks" and such.

Eating, yeah. It's obvious you just consumed a carton of ice cream with 2500 calories. It says so. But people without a fancy fitness tracker like a meter or HRM might think they're doing a LOT more than they are.

I still advocate for fitness hobbies, so you can progress to a point that you're really burning some energy.
What a load of horse crap! I work out a lot, and it is a major component in weight control for me, but to suggest to someone they shouldn't do a 30 minute workout a day because it is just "dabbling"? That's dumb. They may not be able to lose significant weight that way, but they will likely be a lot healthier than if they didn't do it.

And I hate to break it to you, but your fancy trackers are just giving you false precision when it comes to calorie burn. It's all estimates based on assumptions. So now you are advocating an added expense and inconvenience as somehow being a necessity for effective working out, which is just going to discourage people from doing the 30 minute workout.

BTW, I do just fine without the trackers and hrm. I'm just guessing on the calorie burn and the fat burn instead of a having a machine guess for me.