View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 09:45 AM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GAP Trail 3 day tour - questions

My wife and I are considering 3-4 day trip to Pittsburgh to ride on the GAP trail over 4th or July holiday. A few questions:
1) West- or East- bound? Is there a way that will be significantly better experience or we should do whichever works best logistically with regards to transfer (see below)? Anything on teh way that is a must see - or just ride and enjoy the ride. Will 150 miles over 3 day be ok? We did this mileage on the roads in other tours but not sure if gravel will slow us or wear us?
2) Transfer options -- did anyone try to haul an Uber from Pit to Cumberland, MD or in reverse. The price estimate on Uber website seems attractive enough to consider ditching Amtrak with a 2+ 3+ hrs delays per week and going with that option? Note that our bike Friday will be disassembled and have no issues of fitting even into a sedan trunk. Any bus service between the two ends of the GAP trail?
3) Alternatively, Amtrak one way and riding the other. However, looking over the delays over the last week makes me reluctant. Also the schedule (leaving Pit at 5:20am will make a very tiresome day...).