Old 07-30-19, 10:53 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It did sound like they blocked off the right lane for the event. Perhaps Ms. Oswald was passing another group and was over-focused on that. Being "in the zone" usually results in the exclusion of all other "distractions", sometimes at one's peril. I imagine that there was some sort of competitor's briefing before the race to go over the route and how it was controlled. I also imagine that folks are thinking about the race and only half listen. Still, a semi makes a lot of noise so it's surprising that Ms. Oswald would not be warned. Race rules prohibited any electronic devices, so her ears were not impaired.

Man, I hate to hear about this sort of thing. Condolences to her family.
crappy situation. sorry to say, from what i read, this was entirely on the cyclist. first off, in IM events, it is a clearly defined rule that crossing the center line of a roadway is an immediate DQ (rule 5.01.D). she should have known that, never mind the inherent danger involved. second, being "in the zone", while a very real and obviously potentially dangerous situation, would not be an excuse for a disregard for that rule and the prohibition of crossing a double yellow, and poor decision making jeopardizing hers (and potentially, others') safety. rules on passing in IM events are very clear.