Thread: Car Free Me
View Single Post
Old 10-14-18, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I drive a car and probably will as long as I own a house. I have improved the 26 yo house I bought 20 years ago radically (insulation, heating bills, comfort. interior layout, walls, new roof, etc. Many, many sheets of plywood, paneling and drywall. Usually one, two or three sheets at a time. I will not take 4' x 8' sheets on a bike. Just not that hardcore. (I did carry a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/4" aluminum on my UO-8 40 years ago. That was an adventure!

I did not own a car until I was 31 and rarely drove. All shopping was done by bike. All commuting was done by bike. Much of my life until I was 26 was around Boston so I used the MBTA whenever it worked. After that, in my next 5 cities I rarely used mass transit, not because I was opposed to it. I just found it easier to ride than schedule my life around the transit. (The MBTA, with its long hours of operation, huge coverage of the Boston area and frequent trolleys/subway trains worked well for me.)

I am now retired but go into Portland ~4,5 times/week, nearly half of which is by bike. (~20 mile round trip.) I chose my home based in large part because it is a sweet 9-10 miles in-town, faster over the West Hills and 8 miles from good county riding. I am on the west side of Portland, not the bike-hip east side. I've thought about getting a trailer that could carry a guitar amp, but that probably won't happen until I go car free (after I finish all this repair/update stuff that probably will not be completed in this lifetime). Maybe I'll live on the eastside, car free when I can no longer live at this house. Cool if I can still ride!

If I bought a new house, I could see car-free. Renting the Home Depot truck for those occasional big purchases would be completely justified. Perhaps a trailer (one or two wheel depending on road width/comfort/safety). Actually, feeding myself with a bike with 4 small panniers is easy. Best farmers market is 8 miles away and I get nearly all my produce year 'round from it by bike.

Ben