View Single Post
Old 03-13-19, 04:14 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I had a pre-surgical chest x-ray on Jan. 22 to have surgery on a torn meniscus in my right knee (I pushed too hard on a long, hilly ride). Unfortunately they found a mass which was confirmed a few days later with a CT scan. I made an appointment with a doc at M D Anderson here in Houston and a biopsy on Feb. 19 confirmed it was squamous cell cancer in the lower left lobe. I saw a surgeon yesterday and it looks like I'll be losing the entire lower lobe because of the size (3.5x3.8cm) and location. I'm now in the middle of pre-op tests and they're thinking surgery may happen in early April.

I'm not a stranger to medical problems as I had complete kidney failure in 1984, a transplant in 1998, and renal cancer in 2005, among other maladies. The immunosuppressants started playing havoc with me when I started getting squamous cell skin cancer attacking my scalp in 2012. This led to several MOHS surgeries before it showed up in the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck in 2016. For that I had a neck dissection to remove the 3 affected nodes and 32 others, followed by 6 weeks of radiation. Now here I am with this stuff in my lungs. In the meantime, my torn meniscus doesn't bother me while riding or walking, but stairs are the main problem.

I'm glad to read that those here who have been down this road are still riding. It helped calm my fears that I'd lose the ability to continue with my passion.
Cripes. That's it. I'll stop *****ing about my aches, pains and other maladies.

Kudos to you for keeping at it with a good attitude.

I wonder how the OP is doing?

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-13-19 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Do not bypass the forum censor.