View Single Post
Old 07-06-19, 04:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
There are different ways to glue them depending on what you want. That is fun too.

A "Belgium glue job" is heavy in the center. It should have a tacky glue that re-bonds. Idea is that the seal will break, then re-bond. A cobble thing. This is also the typical (lazy/busy) Euro-pro mechanic glue job.

A road/track needs a tight bond at the edges. Some tires seat better on some rims than others. American designed rims tend to contact on the outer edges. I glue mostly this way as kid and I don't do USA cobbles. But have done both and in-between.
It is not that big a deal, but another fun thing to mess around with, and you can certainly tell between extremes.

IMO most over glue, and don't glue the edges. But that take more time.

Weight Weenie (I am one) notes (If you are a disc brake person - never-mind, these things do not matter to you.):
-Glue on weighs about 2X what dried glue does.
-You save a bit of mass in air (yea, I typed that) over clinchers as all the air is above the rim and use-able vs between the tracks. Air at the rim is extra mass at the rim.
We are putting 5-8bar in the tires. Air does contribute a few grams to the rotating mass.