View Single Post
Old 07-31-19, 10:56 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I commute to work most days. It's a relatively flat 17 miles or so each way. I'm lucky enough to live where I can do it all year long. Since I can do it all year long, once I am in shape, I can do it indefinitely. It's just what I do to get to and from work. And I don't need any recovery from one day to the other. About my only concession is that I make is that I'll take a day off of my commute if I have a big ride the next day (tough century or DC).

But I tell you what. Every time something puts me out of commission for a spell, I'm reminded just how much it is to ride 35 miles a day ... every day. I had a leg fracture last year and was off the bike for a couple of months ... and yea, it took 2-3 weeks to come back to where my commute was again routine. And the older I get, the longer it takes to get back in shape.

I know others who tried riding every day of the week, and they just weren't feeling it. They cut back to three.

I would encourage you to give it a try and see how it goes. Take it easy on yourself and keep your speed down. It'll take you some time to work into it, but I'll bet you can do it.

Likes For Biker395: