Old 08-14-20, 01:43 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I'm not that surprised to hear that someone on the internet knows more about my body's metabolism than I do My original post stated, in simple terms, that I would not want to have the displeasure of riding without having a meal because I find it dangerous. I have been there for various reasons and it's not pleasant. If not eating works for some of you, great! What's the point in being snarky about it? Someone is hangry?
Well, the snark is likely because your comment on being in a bonked state first thing in the morning flies in the fact of how things generally work, that our bodies carry 2000 calories of glycogen if you're eating normally. Not to mention that depending on the intensity folks burn more fat than carbs, so when recreational/non-competitive cyclists overemphasize carbing up first thing in the morning it sets off my alarm because caloric needs are less for non-competitive folks.

Again, to go back to my rides today, my first ride was a normal training ride for me at my endurance intensity, I utilized over 1000 calories in 90mins. My 2nd ride was 9mph average, 250calories, over a 2hr period. That, to me, is more reflective of what more average cyclists actually expend. The way people discuss eating for rides you'd think they were preparing for a race or something. Reality is caloric/carb needs are vastly overblown by folks on forums like this.
Likes For hubcyclist: