Old 08-14-20, 02:05 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Well, the snark is likely because your comment on being in a bonked state first thing in the morning flies in the fact of how things generally work, that our bodies carry 2000 calories of glycogen if you're eating normally. Not to mention that depending on the intensity folks burn more fat than carbs, so when recreational/non-competitive cyclists overemphasize carbing up first thing in the morning it sets off my alarm because caloric needs are less for non-competitive folks.

Again, to go back to my rides today, my first ride was a normal training ride for me at my endurance intensity, I utilized over 1000 calories in 90mins. My 2nd ride was 9mph average, 250calories, over a 2hr period. That, to me, is more reflective of what more average cyclists actually expend. The way people discuss eating for rides you'd think they were preparing for a race or something. Reality is caloric/carb needs are vastly overblown by folks on forums like this.
Ya'll jumping to conclusions. I've never woken up feeling like I was "bonking" and I never stated I do. But if I don't eat and do a hard workout, expending half or more of my daily recommended calorie intake, there is a higher likelihood of "bonking" (or an even higher displeasure of feeling hungry), which is what I'm trying to avoid of the time.

Jeez. All I'm saying is I most of the time I prefer to eat before riding. Not carbing up. Not waking up depleted.
Likes For autonomy: