Old 05-09-09, 10:07 AM
woodenidol

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding after lung surgery

Hello all, (this was posted in the general section, but suggested I post here, even though Im not quite in the club yet, though I hold out hope I will be in time. smile)

I have never posted much here, though I read quite a bit.

Anyway, Im 47, 1.5 years off colon cancer, sugery and chemo. Two spots since showed up in my lungs, and I had the lower right lob cut out 2 weeks ago.

I knew the engine was going to take a hit, but today I got back on the bike. While Im definetly not where I was, It was not as bad as I had feared. Kinda of like riding at altitude, but worse.

My question is, is anyone else riding with a similar loss of lung capacity? If so, did you ride before and what have you found since? Im guessing I may be alone in this, hopefully so, as its not a lot of fun, but if anyone has anything to share on it, I would be interested.

The surgeon really couldnt give me much of an idea either, as in his words.............no one in good shape like you, has there lungs cut on. Fair enough, though it does leave one wondering what I can expect upon full recovery.

I have a week long tour coming up in 4 months with some significant climbing, so it should be quite an adventure getting ready.