Old 07-25-12, 03:31 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackPaw
I have another problem - my legs are fine and after 70 miles - my legs allow me to sprint - but my butt wants to get off the saddle. I get all kinds of pain on my gluteus, perineum, testicles...
It could be:

1) lack of training: As you build up your leg muscles, more of your weight will end up resting on your legs and less on your rear end, so it gets better with time.

2) the wrong kind of saddle: An overly soft saddle may feel more comfortable initially, but allows your sit bones to sink in too deeply, meaning instead of the sit bones carrying the weight, the soft tissue around them will end up getting squeezed. Not good for nerves and circulation.

3) too much sitting at one stretch: Get up from the saddle every now and then and cycle standing for a little bit, to help your circulation. Take short breaks every now and then.

I really like my Brooks leather saddle. Since I got that, the least comfortable part of cycling were the shoulder straps of my back pack when I was wearing one long distance, sitting was no longer a problem.