Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Whistler might have some blue and green trails.
Whistler won't be open in April. The goal for the mountain is to usually dig out lower mountain for a may 24 opening. Some of the xc stuff will be available lower in the valley, but they have had a good snow year unfortunately. Of all the areas this is likely the most range in trails from true greens to true double blacks. Since their focus is family adventure they need to be absolutely accurate in their ratings. Even then some of the greens are kind of nuts. I took some fit newbs out on lost lake trails and quickly realized just how technical those blues were. The skill jump between green and blue was kind of intense. Fun... and with some time they started to get it and look ahead and work the brakes instead of grabbing fistfuls, but it was a coaching session more than a riding session

"Vancouver" BC would be good, but slick and wet.

I happen to be in Sedona now, and it would be perfect in a month. The riding here is mostly blue to black riding, but I will be honest, the blues are pretty reasonable. Skywalker for example is a trail that is easy and I would gladly take my wife on. Lots of options in the "valley" too. You can progress as fast or slow as you like AND their is a tonne of bike rental options. Sedona partially rates on "exposure" vs the actual technical features. Taking sky walker again, it is easy, but one misstep to the left and whoops you fall. Its not that extreme but the rating is there.

Trailforks would be your friend in any west coast riding (West of Dallas), since the trails are updated frequently. East of dallas I think MTB project would be your friend.

Just a pre-warning, a blue trail on the north shore of Vancouver does NOT equal a blue trail in Scottsdale and does not equal a blue trail in Sedona. Definitely check out various you tube channels to see how technical the riding is so you don't end up in an area where the blues are so deep you end up over your head. I tend to get around quite a bit and speak to the rating system in my vids on my youtube channel Clydesdale Mountain bike. Mostly Dallas, all of BC, Arizona and some California biking. Its getting better with ratings being split between the climbability and the technical aspects. Makes my selection easier when I find a black climb, and green technicial.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 03-03-19 at 06:45 AM.