Old 05-06-19, 01:01 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
KMC Missing Link won't close with KMC chain

So I just got a new KMC Z-72 chain and it comes with a Missing Link. Theoretically all you have to do is put the chain on, insert the Missing Link and close it, right? No. I can't get the link to close.

- No, I don't have a link tool.
- I can close the link to itself off the chain, by hand, easily.
- If I just put the link on one end of the chain only, I can't close the link.
- If I take the Missing Link from my old chain and put it (temporarily) on the new chain, I can just barely get it to close with a lot of force. On the old chain, I can take that same link on and off by hand without much force at all.
- I don't know what the old chain was other than a KMC Z-series for 7-speed, looking a lot like the new one. LBS said this is the replacement.

So my question is: how much force should I be using to close the new link (the one that came with the chain) with the new chain?

It seems like you're supposed to be able to line up each outer plate with the channel in the pin from the opposite plate by squeezing the two halves together. And that if you have to use force, it's because you're deforming the plate by squeezing the pin through the opening without lining up the channel, which is bad .. right? Or is that just how it goes?

Sure don't want to damage the link and have it fail (open or closed).

Just wondering how this goes for other people.