View Single Post
Old 08-26-19, 08:32 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I went to Mechanical Gardens 2 weeks ago for the orientation, and I was totally turned off. This just wasn't for me. I wanted bikes, not role playing with a banana. (yes, really)

I think maybe I'll just start my own, use my house as a base for doing free bike repair. I'm not looking to start a shop, just help people out. I mostly have basic tools, but most of the common ones, some specialty tools, and space in my basement even if it is a little gross. Maybe I'll take the shop vac and clean it up. Bike wash would be a thing too as I bought a set of brushes, have a bucket and a garden hose, and a space in the driveway. Wash, clean the chain, the cassette, hose it down and lube. No charge, just bring beer or wine as one can afford it. And I'll keep it local, Prospect Park and environs, and one night each week, or maybe every other. I just need to get rid of the car in the way to the back door.

Tools:
Bike repair stand
Dumb trainer to do derailleur adjustments under stress
Allen wrenches
Torx wrenches
Metric open wrenches
SAE wrenches for whatever
Torque wrenches and hex bits
long ratchet wrench with same hex bits
Cassette tools for Campy/Shimano
Bottom Bracket Cup tool for Campy/FSA (and Shimano?)
Chain whip
Pin spanner for older cranks
Crank/headset wrench
cone wrenches
crank extractors
Zeus crank bolt tool! Only this tool will fit a Zeus crank. And how many of you know about Zeus?
Campy Ultra Torque bearing tools (really specialized)
Derailleur hanger alignment tool (a great tool for making bikes quiet.)
Spoke wrench, but only the size I used
Spoke tension gauge
Chain tools
Chain wear gauge
Park Chain cleaner
Park brush set for cleaning
Master link tool
cable/housing cutter
Bench vise
Hammers (if you can't fix it with a hammer it can't be fixed!)
Tube Patches (but no vulcanizing fluid at the moment, need to get some.)
Finish Line dry lube
Squirt wax chain lube
A 40 year old tube of Phil grease
assorted others...

This set has been enough to build/rebuild my own bikes, but I know some older bikes will need special tools that I don't have, and I'm sure there are some special Campy tools as well since everything Campy makes requires a special tool. It is far from a complete bike shop. No facing tools as I've never had to face a BB or headset. And not a good collection of those common items such as washers or ball bearings. I'm mostly well versed in external geared bikes, not IGH nor fixies.

Now that I look at it, I've got a lot of bike tools!

Last edited by zacster; 09-01-19 at 06:54 AM.