canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
...my 3900’ gain 56mi race has been changed to Eagleman 2021. Mostly flat..,and now what?

it’s 56 miles of flat and windy. Can I just ride my trainer to prepare for this?
As other folks noted, wind can be demoralizing. Like long climbs it can get into your head before it wears down the legs and lungs. Combine a headwind with a climb and the mind begins to play tricks on us. Like whispering "Go home and watch TV. This sucks."

Part of the challenge is the energy expended just keeping the bike on a steady line. Wind buffeting forces us to make lots of corrections, usually minor. Trainer sessions can't prepare us for that, although old school rollers can help (and those demand full concentration). It all adds up to energy expenditure. Especially with downtube shifters -- reaching down to shift while correcting for gusting crosswind can be tricky. Brifters are more efficient. Some folks are comfortable with bar-end shifters on aero bars -- I'm not, but I haven't practiced enough either, especially in crosswind.

Work on getting aero -- as low as you can manage for as long as you can manage without too much discomfort. If it hurts too much it'll be counter-productive. Wind tunnel tests have shown the most aero position isn't necessarily the lowest, most stretched out or inherently uncomfortable.

Drops can be aero, but tests show that for at least some folks it's more aero to use the hoods, with the forearms as near as possible to parallel with the ground. Seems to be, although I need a longer stem to improve the ergonomics for such an aggressive position. My shorter stem is ergonomically friendly for more relaxed riding, which suits me on the Ironman.

Tests also show it isn't cost effective to throw gobs of cash at the aero puzzle. An aero frame, rims or disc wheels, are expensive and not necessarily significantly more aero than snug fitting kit -- shorts/bibs, jersey, helmet. On a budget, go for an aero jersey and helmet first. Maybe aero shoe covers. Cheapest tricks to save a few watts.

While you can throw a pile of cash at a skin suit, you can get a lot of value from an aero jersey costing less than $100. Ditto helmets -- you don't need the full zoot long tail fin Alien vs Predator helmet. Any rounded sorta-aero lid will do. These range from cheap Base Camp round aero helmets for $20 (I have one, it's pretty good for the money) to around $50 for name brand unsold old model aero helmets from Bell and other well known makers.

I bought a couple of closeout/blowout Pearl Izumi Elite Pursuit Speed jerseys for only $20 and $30 respectively, because nobody wanted a hi-vis yellow aero jersey (that color usually screams Unhip Fred, especially on a baggy long sleeve sunscreen jersey), and the blue was a customer return (original tags, etc., didn't seem to have even been tried on). Those usually sell for closer to $100. The main difference from my other jerseys is the aero jerseys fit tightly and don't stretch much, but are still comfortable. The shoulder sleeve material are plasticky, thicker and even less stretchy, supposedly designed to improve airflow. Seems to work as claimed.

Does a jersey and helmet really help? Yeah, I think so. I've ridden the same training routes many times with casual fit and snug fitting shorts and jerseys, and my usual Bell and POC vented helmets vs the cheapie solid top aero lid (it does have a detachable top that exposes some tiny vents). The aero kit is always good for an extra 1 mph over my usual 20-50 mile training routes, expending the same perceived effort. But the Base Camp aero lid is kinda primitive compared with the more comfy Bell and POC so I don't wear it often -- the pads and harness aren't as nice. Customer pix of crashes indicate it's as safe as most bike helmets so I'm not worried about that. But I might upgrade to a somewhat better aero lid from Lazer, Abus, Bell, Giro or other, whatever's on sale.

Some rides I'll wear the aero kit just for a casual ride, because I don't want to fight the gusting crosswinds. It's just safer and more reassuring in traffic when I can hold a steady line and wobble around in traffic. I was surprised by how effectively aero kit reduces the human sail effect. Only problem is the aero jersey pockets are dinky so I carry less. But I usually carry too much junk anyway. So far I haven't needed anything I left behind. There's still room for my phone, mini-wallet, Clif bar, a couple of gels, asthma inhaler, pepper spray, lip balm, sporty Super Cooties Apocalypse 2020 model surgical mask. All the bike repair stuff goes in the small Serfas Speed Bag or Lezyne Road Caddy. Big bags can catch the wind too -- I really notice that on my hybrid, with larger saddle bag and handlebar bag.

Even without aero bars it's possible to get remarkably aero if you can manage the "puppy paws" or invisible aero bar position -- forearms draped across the top of the bar, as close as possible to the stem. I can do it, but I lack the confidence on rough roads or crosswinds. And my bike fit isn't quite right for that position -- I'd need a slightly longer stem for better stability. I'm going to try that soon. It also needs really grippy bar wrap or something to keep the sweaty forearms from slipping around on the bar in that position.