Old 02-20-21, 11:40 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Except for the impossibility of making a rim braked bike into a disc-braked bike, they absolutely could cost-effectively put Di2 or AXS on such a bike. Using the Specialized Allez, which was the highlighted bike in the OP's video. The highest end disc Allez is 105 and has MSRP of $2300. Adding a Di2 conversion kit brings it to ~$3300.

The alternative nearest neighbor (disc + Di2 race geo) is the the Tarmac SL7 Expert at $5500 ? If you're happy with rim brake the Allez Elite w/105 is $1500; add Di2 and you have a $2500 bike.

If working with 9 or 10 speed $1k bike, you'd be adding $2k for the full Di2 Ultegra kit, but even so, then you're still at $3K instead of $5500
Ok, that can be done, but it’s not exactly like for like.

A Synapse Carbon disc is $2400 for Tiagra, versus $4400 for Di2. I’m not seeing a Di2 kit for $1000, but even if you can get that, you still need to add a new cassette, chain, and possibly wheels to the shopping list, and then you do have to allow for the fact the rest of your finishing kit (bars, cranks, brakes) is lower end than if you just bought the expensive bike.

Also, I just watched the video in the OP, and he’s discussing the upgrade from Sora to 105. That jump is typically well under $500 in MSRP, but the upgrade process would likely cost more, and certainly run into problems along the way for an inexperienced mechanic.

I think the core takeaway there is, if you’re new to cycling and you can stretch to 105 level up front, do. And the bit that he doesn’t say is, if you’re new to cycling and don’t know how long you’re going to continue at it, don’t spend more than 105.