Old 02-11-18, 05:35 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Actually, you can. You can put on an event. You just need to find a venue and apply for an event permit from USAC. The permit costs a couple hundred bucks.

Depending on the location you chose, you may need to get a permit from the city, which may cost money. You may also need police. Around here, the police tell you how many officers you need and for how long. And it's overtime pay, so it's usually around $50 an hour per officer. (We spent $5000 on police a few years ago for a Gran Fondo.) You will also need to come up with a purse. And after all that, you might make money from entry fees.
I realistically cannot put on a race by myself. Sorry, that’s not feasible with the nature of my first job and a separate business we run and a two hour a day commute. I would absolutely be willing to put in substantial effort through my cycling club but they are crit racers and have no interest in TTs, there’s little chance they’d do it without incentive.

But is the problem really that there’s not enough promoters? Promoters are dropping out and races are disappearing because presumably the promoters are losing money. How is challenging a rank newby to put on a race really help anything, other than proving a point that it’s hard to do and everyone complains?

What I’m getting at is the big picture behind the racing model. Why do specific races disappear? What can be done to change that? Whose job is it to try to understand this?

If I understood those things and felt like I could make a profit doing it, I still wouldn’t personally have the time to do it. It’s like telling a triathlete that if they don’t organize an Ironman within 3 years of taking up the sport, they’re not doing enough and can’t ask any questions.