Old 02-12-18, 12:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I didn't see college a motivator for junior cyclist parents. True, all colleges like a story. Many of the top juniors skipped college and are trying pro and are at schools that cycling likely had little to do with paying for anything or getting them in. It depends.
This sounds snobby - maybe it is, but if the kid can leverage a name university it makes sense to do so. Your top ranking prestige universities almost all have NCAA sports, and cycling does nothing to get you in or pay, other than it is a story. Parents looking for college by putting their kids in sports (like soccer parents - I was one, and used it) are shooting higher. They would use an NCAA sport first. There is a big difference between NCAA schools and cycling schools as far as prestige and value of using the sport. When we wanted to use a sport - we switch junior off the bike to rowing and started shopping Ivy's, Naval Academy, Georgetown... . When he missed cycling too much, we had figured that ship had sailed and mom and dad were going to write checks and see if the story would get him in. We did not much shop the cycling schools. The military academies - esp Air Force, like athletes. Other than that, I don't see cycling gets much for getting into a prestige University - not like soccer or a NCAA sport can.

Last edited by Doge; 02-12-18 at 05:25 PM.