View Single Post
Old 10-09-20, 12:20 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
As the saying goes "different strokes for different folks". Applies to handlebars, as there is little if any commonality among what riders prefer. RIse is how high above the bar is above the stem. Sweep is the degree at which the the bar angles back toward you, and width is distance between the outermost tips of the bar. The more rise, the higher the bar is above the stem, and the straighter up you will be. Sweep is the amount the bar bends back toward you. A bar with zero sweep would be straight across. A bar with 90 degree sweep would have the ends of the bar 90 degrees bent back. You will need to find what works for you-perhaps look at the bars on the different sites to see what looks like it might work for you. If your LBS has a variety of bars in stock, might just put your hands on some to see what sweep you think feels best to you. I hesitate to make a recommendation on what will work for someone, as we all have our preferences. Something like a Soma Clarence bar (or similar) looks like something I might like on a hybrid (I have drop bar road bike and a mtn bike-no hybrid yet), but it's personal, like saddles, so you need to go with what works for you.