Old 06-11-20, 06:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Ask and ye shall receive

Trying to date it by the serial A89112038.

It's definitey a Barbarian (says so on the frame), that I picked up on a whim for $80 off CL. I have developed a scratch to make a SS mtb that needs scratching. I've been eye balling up two other 26rs I have for the task but was reticent about messing with them when I spied this Niskiki. Interesting back story on the frame design so... I bought it. Turns out to have a mix of 500lx and replacement drive train parts which is ok because they are all going bye bye anyway. I'll start a project thread for it soon and link/tag it here when I do.

Can you tell, from the serial, the year it was made? My brain wants to say 89 but that was the first year of production and this looks a little more refined so I'm leaning more towards 91.
It looks like the old crystal ball was working pretty well! It's definitely not a 1989 model, as there were no elevated chainstay models in the Canadian Nishiki lineup during 1989. It's an excellent match for the 1990 model in the Dayglow Green/Dayglow Yellow livery option. The serial number is typical of Taiwanese manufacturers and can be reverse engineered to November 1989, which would be appropriate for a 1990 model.

In 1990, the Barbarian was 6th in a lineup of 9 ATB models. Please note that while the frame has a Tange MTB decal, it only applies to the three main tubes. The stays are hi-tensile steel.
Likes For T-Mar: