View Single Post
Old 06-09-19, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Well, I don't know but I doubt anybody attacks a lock with a sledge hammer. When I lock my bike, the chain never really lays loose on the floor, can't get a clean hit and you'd most likely smash up the frame at the same time. I reckon you'd have better luck with bolt cutters but then there's no such thing as a 100% safe lock, an angle grinder or a small dremel will get through anything.

Even the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lock was picked by this youtube guy in like 15 seconds.

It it's big and bulky that's enought for me. Even if someone was determined to take my bike, with a lock like that, they'd have to take some serious measures, all of which attract attention and would (hpefully) alarm somebody. Big bolt cutters, big sledge hammer, loud dremel, loud grinder, etc...

Makes a big difference imo, can't go unnoticed, unlike a pair of wire cutters that can be held discretely in a jacket pocket and would slice through poundshop locks with no issue.

I think it's good enough.

Kret
I don't support Krypto locks they are heavy and not very secure and that doesn't work for me. They can faggetabout our business we have gone ABUS and we aren't looking back. For the price the locks are too much with little security and not much design work going into it. Thicker isn't always better if using poor quality steel.

Yes any lock can be defeated but a chain from a well known company that is nice and thick and supposed to be high security defeated with two strikes from a hammer. Not a good thing even if that is not a common way to defeat a lock it shows a supreme weakness in the lock. There are plenty small pocket sized cutting tools these days and even with a thick lock it doesn't make it super secure. Good luck regardless and have fun schlepping that chain, I did that once and never really wanted to do it again.