Old 11-14-19, 10:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
How is that any better than speed / time? It does not measure the most important thing - winning. And it does not measure speed. Targeting power may not help either (and I am very serious about racing).
Speed and time does not relate very precisely to effort (energy expended, and the duration). You're referring to training methods; I am referring to a measurement that people find useful in training.

Your training using only speed and time will always take the road grade into consideration, the wind, even which bike they're on, right? In other words it boils down to estimating power, which is more easily and more accurately measured using a meter. If you want that more accurate measurement, that's the "why" of a power meter. If you don't need it, you don't need a power meter.

The secondary use I mentioned is "relating speed to power", which isn't necessarily training but may be useful in developing technique and racing strategy.

I have not seen the power training folks go faster than those that don't.

Cameron Wurf - 2X Kona record breaker - no PM
Taylor Phinney - no PM
(those are public with videos)

Many racers have them. Our current USA kids do too. USAC coaches get all excited about power too.

If you want to go faster, measuring speed is more results oriented.
Likes For wphamilton: