Old 02-02-15, 04:44 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Paramount
My cobaltos arrived. They are gorgeous.
Yes they are. I have just the bike that would have worn them proudly, except that it already wears effective brakes.

I spent today installing a headset on the Gazelle. Also coming dangerously close to finishing the Terry for my sweetie, except for one snag. I'm giving her brifters, a.k.a. clickers, but that ain't so easy. I'd been told that the Shimano A173 (or whatever it is called) was 7spd-compatible for all newer 7-spd equipment. I'd picked up a 7-spd FW and a new cheap Tourney RD. As an experiment and so she could ride it on a trainer I'd set it up with a VGT-Luxe and a 5-spd. Today I converted the hub (1st-gen Shimano 600) to 126mm and installed the FW, then realized the RD had a mounting claw which COULD NOT BE REMOVED!!! $XK&&*#EM^&DY!!! So I left the VGT-LUXE in place and discovered that that combination indexes rather nicely with only minor problems. Most index points are dead-on; one or two require a second partial click. No big deal, because they all work. The real problem is that the brifter's total range won't cover the whole FW range. I can tighten the cable so that it sifts to the big cog, but then it won't go to the little one. I can loosen the cable to get the little cog but this won't get the big one. The brifter itself simply will not generate enough cable displacement between highest and lowest positions to shift the entire 7-speed range. I left it set to reach the big cog; my sweetie isn't likely to use the high gear anyway. But it bothers my sense of aesthetics to have something non-functional like that. I supposed I should try a different RD. Oh, and I installed a nice SR Rando bar I received from @mrv. Just the ticket for the Terry.

And that was my day's bike activities.