tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Not true! Swiftfolders.com still builds and ships bikes using exactly the same frame as what Xootr used to build their model. I myself bought a frameset from them last year for USD$450 to build a second bike. For a lot less than US$2000, the proprietor and designer Peter will build and ship a bike to one's specifications, so I think the bike is well worth a mention on this thread.

Also, while I agree with you that many folders (such as Bromptons) are better at folding small so that they fit onto crowded public transpo, the Swift isn't so bad. It folds down in seconds and has a slender profile in its folded state as it doesn't double over on itself sideways; because of this I've found that sometimes it fits surprisingly well in a lot of tight narrow spots. Twice this past year I've packed it into a suitcase and taken it with me on trips abroad (Mexico and Montreal). On both journeys I combined cycling with various modes of public transportation. In every instance the Swift worked whether it was on the metro in Montreal or else under the rear seat in a collectivo mini bus in Quintana Roo. Whenever I put the crossrack on and loaded the bike to ride it long distances it felt good, balanced and not much slowed down. Unloaded and with the rack off it was just damn fun to zip around on in less familiar surroundings. If I were headed to Europe I'd want a Swift under me for the journey. I took a trip from England across to the Netherlands and then Germany, Denmark up to Sweden not so many years ago. I had a a road bike with me, cycling some and taking trains part of the distance. I know having any sort of a bike on trains isn't going to be much of an issue over there. Just make sure you buy a special ticket for the bike when it's required. I got burned for not having one of those in Sweden.
I forgot about Peter. If the website is still up please post the link. I seem to have lost it.

As to travel on mass transit, I would also know about the Swift, as I'm a former owner myself. I guess internationally it's different, but here in NYC on buses, and on the LIRR, it's not so easy. And some states ban any bike that isn't a "true folder", and the Swift is often times considered a non-folder by drivers and conductors. I do know that there's really no comparing a Swift to most folders ride quality wise, and the Swift is the only bike I've sold that I miss, but if I were travel abroad myself, I'd take a smaller folding/packing bike.