Old 06-01-15, 02:48 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by The Domestique
There is a race just before this one so having the whole course might be hard, BUT there is a massive infield that could be setup for a clinic. Cool idea. I'll suggest it and see if we can get it going.
For bumping drills I'm not talking using the course, I'm talking using maybe a warm up loop kind of thing where you have 50-100 yards straight, do a U-turn, 50-100 yards straight, etc. Better if the U-turn has a cone or something so people don't randomly U-turn in a 30 yard stretch of pavement. The idea is to have a straight long enough for contact. This could happen before the race (ideal) or after the race (less ideal), depending on people's schedules. Before would be better.

Later, on a grass/soft area, you can do front wheel touching, two sides contact, full contact slow speed crits, etc, but the bumping, that's huge. It's basically all we did at the Bethel Spring Series and it saved some guys skin in those races as well as later ones. One guy that thanked me for the drills/instruction was an M55+ racer who lost something like 8 spokes out of his Zipp 404 front wheel in a June race and still didn't hit the deck. First year racer, he said to me that he was just focusing on "drops, steer" and hang on. I'd like to take credit for his clinic instruction but I think @shovelhd was his actual instructor.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson