AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
adding air every few days
That sounds like an issue with the seal. I check each tire with my finger before every ride, but probably only have to add air about once a week. (I average around 20 miles per ride x 5 days a week this time of year.) That's about the same as it was when I ran tubes.

changing out Stans each season
I guess that part needs more context. How many miles does that represent? I get about 4000 miles on a tire, which is a little under a year's worth of riding. So other than when I install the new ones, I only need to add sealant about one time.

having a sidewall blow-out due to damage from glass on a rail trail
Sidewall can be damaged on any type of tire - tubed or tubeless.
And I carry a tube in my repair kit just in case I have a situation that the sealant can't handle. Thankfully I haven't ever had to use it, but it's an option.

finding few shops in my travels that either carried supplies and replacement of the tires when they wear
I keep new tires on hand so I'm not put in a situation where I have to go out and buy something immediately. That allows me to buy online when necessary. I've found two tires I really like: Specialize Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss and Hutchinson Override, both in 38mm. I can get either of them for about $50.

Then you need to factor in the associated costs of tubeless, the Stans fluid, the injector for the fluid, some sort of compressor to mount the tire as well as carrying a type of tire plug kit for repairs on the trail.
That's a fair point to some degree, although a lot of that is a one-time purchase. And you should be carrying a repair kit for tubed tires, also. I already had a compressor, so that definitely helped. But if you've been running tubeless for several years, I'm guessing you've already made that purchase? Sealant is not very expensive - less than the new tubes it saves you from needing to buy. In my estimation, the cost difference is fairly minimal... but then, I did already have an air compressor.

I wouldn't try to talk anyone into or out of tubeless tires. You've tried them and decided you didn't like them. But I know I find them more comfortable than tubed tires, and on at least one occasion they've prevented me from having to change a tube mid-ride. Nothing's perfect, but I'm definitely in the tubeless camp.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 03-22-21 at 07:23 AM.