View Single Post
Old 11-28-18, 12:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by baj2
Typo on my part, I meant "aren't the cheapest thing to replace", which as you can tell fits better in the my first sentence. My brain gets too far ahead of my fingers at times. :-)
LOL! I totally get that! And correctly stated, fatbike tires are big ticket items. Did you get this Pug?

Originally Posted by Banzai
Pugsley has very common MTB standards though. Was once a must in order to source parts, still nice if you don’t want to buy stupidly expensive fat bike specific components. Also nice if you want to do Alfine or something similar.
That's my feeling, the Pug doesn't have the high-end components, but they are cheaper/easier to get upgrades/replacements.

My Pug is heavy, but that doesn't stop me from riding and racing, and loving it. I've had it on narrow single-tracks, uncut summer ski trails, cyclocross,
frozen lake races, snow races, gravel races (short and ultra endurance), ...

It's not sexy, light, or new, but there's nothing wrong with a Pug as a workhorse. It's the start of the mass-produced fatbikes and has a great history.

I'll likely get a CF fatbike next year*, but I will not stop riding and loving my Pug!

* I downsized my house in 2018 to open up budget for more important things ... bikes!