Old 01-06-19, 05:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
It’s a challenge to find a balance between what’s satisfying for a musician to play and what’s satisfying for a non-musician to listen to. Successful progressive bands like Rush (to name only one) do a good job at finding compromise, but a big chunk of their fan base are also musicians. Since music became digitized there’s a lot more supply than demand for all types and genres.
Percussion music isn’t only enjoyable if profitable or marketable.
Well, I am all for the friendly jam sessions. Working bands pretty much have to either work really hard to build a following or produce something similar to something a lot of people are already comfortable with ... the compromise of which you speak.

I know a lot of really talented, skilled, dedicated musicians ... and a lot of them gig ... but none of them still try to make a living solely off of music. Too many hours on the road, and either too many compromises or too little income or both. The only guy i know who is still making all his money in music is a college professor teaching music.

I gave up on any sort of music career decades ago. There still is no joy higher than really making musijc ... but the folks at the bank can;t figure out how to deposit a sax solo.