View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 02:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance76
Personally, I went for standard 2 sided SPD's and a mtb shoe with fairly stiff sole, but rubber walking surface.
My goal (not sure if i achieved it) was to maximize riding efficiency (lighter weight, fairly stiff, clipless efficiency, prevent hotspot), while still having a shoe that wasn't a burden to walk around in. I had a lot of ground to cover each day, but still wanted to be able to run into the store or restaurant, and/or site see just a bit without clunking around in road shoes.
the shoes i have are similar to https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...00#result-list
I'd also found that I struggle to quickly get into single sided clipless pedals in sticky situations, and i didn't want the weight (maybe silly) of platforms on the back side of spd.

I'm happy with my choice.
I also was carrying sandals for extended time off the bike.
I have shoes similar to those, and I can wear them all day even when I'm not on the bike. I've taken hikes in the woods wearing them, climbing on muddy, rocky, rooty trails.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.