Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I'll ask it again since bnet1 rides a bent. What is it with older riders and bents? I just don't get it. I tried riding one once, and just like mountain bikes, it wasn't my kinda bike. So what's the big fascination with bents?
Well, there are bents and then there are bents. They are much more diverse than road bikes. There are long wheel base, short wheel base, low-racers, high-racers, to name a few styles. They are made of chromoly, carbon fiber, and titanium. The low racers are faaaaaassst on the track and flats and the high racers can keep up with uprights in all but the hilliest terrain.

I own 2 high-racers. The first is a Volae Team that is chromoly with a carbon fiber seat and Dura-Ace components. The second is a Bacchetta Aero which has a titanium frame, carbon fiber seat and cranks, and Ultegra drivetrain. Both run 650c wheels. The Team has Ksyriums and the Aero has Spartacus Pro wheels.

I got in to bents due to prostate cancer. Even though I can now ride uprights again, I don't except for a Santana Sovereign that I ride with my wife. In fact, I finally sold my last 2 uprights this summer. One was a Serotta Colorado and the other was an Eisentraut Rainbow, both Campy equipped with all the bells and whistles. I just don't need them any more. I have no problem riding a bent with a group of young racers on uprights, even at my ripe old age of 53. I generally place in the top 3 of group sprints and instigate a lot of breakaways.

Any more questions? BTW, for the uninitiated, here's a pic of my Aero: