Old 05-22-20, 04:10 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CTony
Decided to convert 70s Motobecane bike into fixie bike came with steel rims.Have extra.Weimann wheel-set
can’t find hub brand. 5sp freewheel QR.I would like to use nuted/ wingnut axles is this possible?and would I have redish rear wheel.Or would it be easier to purchase fixie rear wheel setup with flip flop and fixed gear so I don’t have to dish wheel.Any Guidance.Thanks
N
You need to buy a longer axle and nuts, that's easy. The long spacer on the right side of freewheel hubs is a major weakness, so moving some spacers around to get the wheel more centered (and re-dished) and fixing the chainline is highly desirable. Axle nuts are surprisingly expensive. They are a very fine pitch thread and you can't buy them at the hardware store.

I've been using a freewheel hub on a fixed gear bike for years without problems, but if you are going to do skids or stunts you better spring for a real track hub. My bike is 114mm dropout spacing (old 3-speed) and I don't want to mess with it. Track hubs are 120mm.