View Single Post
Old 08-09-19, 12:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I assume that you are talking about direct pull (v-) brakes. I don't have much experience with either. My understanding is that the advantages of v-brakes are
1) Gives a nice approximation of center-pull brakes without requiring a fixed mounting point for the cable - useful for bikes with suspension
2) Doesn't protrude from the bike.

Are there other advantages? I haven't much experience with either type of brake.
They offer comparable clearance to traditional cantilevers while being (usually) easier setup due to fewer variables, plus no risk of a straddle locking up a tire. It's also easier to avoid judder with V-brakes than many canti setups, since the cable isn't stopped above the steerer. Their simplicity also means that even very cheap models usually work quite well and aren't terribly heavy.

The quirk with v-brakes is that full-size models have incredibly high mechanical advantage. Even with long-pull levers or pull adapters, the mechanical advantage frequently remains very high, not a lot of pad movement for lever pull. So they tend to be sensitive to pad wear, and can require that the wheel be at least reasonably true. But, this also gives them their high braking force.

I love 'em. In dry weather, the set on my gravel bike feels about as good as the hydro discs on my MTB.
Likes For HTupolev: