View Single Post
Old 07-03-17, 06:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Amenia to Copake Falls, NY

And back.

One of my all time favorite rides. The Harlem Valley Bike trail, 8 miles from Amenia to Millerton on the trail, 9 miles on road to the next section on Under Mt. Rd., then back on the trail for 4 miles to Copake Falls and an add'l mile or so on the extension north from Copake Falls. Then back, so 45 RT.

The trail is great. The road section north from Millerton is exceptional. Views of the Catskill Mountains across the Hudson. The paragliders launching themselves off Mt.Brace on the Taconic ridge to the east. Hordes of folks on the path on an almost holiday.

I was literally stunned by the numbers of folks riding the path out of Millerton as well as Copake Falls. The term "build it and they will come" applies in spades here. I was first on this route maybe 5 years ago on a weekday in July, saw a few cyclists but nothing like today. Next time I'm going swimming at Rudd Pond State Park, just north of Millerton.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15775876

Here's some photos, Boston Corners Rd., looking south and north (plus my buddy Dave), the trail south of Millerton, plenty of shade. The free bike tool rack in Copake Falls, the old train mileage marker a mile north of Copake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1794.jpg (96.7 KB, 77 views)
IMG_1799.jpg (97.6 KB, 72 views)
IMG_1793.jpg (98.5 KB, 75 views)
IMG_1792.jpg (98.3 KB, 70 views)
IMG_1795.jpg (95.2 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-03-17 at 07:02 PM.