View Single Post
Old 01-02-19, 10:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
My 1983 Cannondale is aluminum .... weren't All Canondales aluminum up until the 6-13 or something? And that 1983 Cannondale is as strong as any bike i own.

There is a lot of ignorant hysteria on this site about aluminum frames failing, but the actual evidence is lacking ... because fact is, an AL frame will last just fine. Any kind of frame Can fail.

Look, there are AL framed cars and airplanes Much older than ten years old ... doing just fine thanks. Go watch some Vintage and Historic Racing.

Anyone with an AL bike ten, twenty, thirty years old who is afraid to ride it can send it to me.

Also, @Buglady ... I am not attacking you or your shop. But i am not pleased with factories who build appliances and other machinery with planned obsolescence in the designs. There is no need beyond the economic interest of selling more products .... the "make it disposable and say it is convenient" thought which litters the land with stuff which will last for centuries except one or two essential parts which can no longer be replaced.

there is no question that a bike can be made to last more than a decade ... but there is the choice not to. And I do not like people who make that choice. Purely personal to me, and in no way reflecting upon you as a person. I am still very pleased with your response.