Old 09-12-19, 08:27 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've played competitive tennis (NTRP 5.0) my whole life and cycled (CAT 3) my whole life. I think the time needed to reach an equivalent level of competency in the two sports is about the same.
Keep in mind that I didn't say to ''reach an equivalent level of competency.'' I said ''riding with'' and ''being on the court with.'' IMO, a cyclist who jumps into the sport and starts riding 7,500-10,000 miles a year can more quickly find himself in the company of pretty good riders (group rides, on the road) than would a similarly dedicated newbie to tennis, IMO. The gift of drafting plays a role here.

I appreciate that you've reached a high level of both sports, as that does give you a good perspective. I've played tennis near the level you're speaking about. As for cycling, people are right to call me a newbie (on the road, group rides, etc.) and so the assertion by some here that I'm naive might have merit. Time will tell.

It just seems to me that cycling allowed me to ride in the company of what I consider to be pretty good riders (still better than me) quicker than tennis did. In cycling, I feel that I can catch up by out-working people. In tennis, it took longer for the hard work to pay off. Once I reached a higher level, I didn't have to work as hard as cyclists must do to maintain it, either. That's my guess, any way. But in the end, at the highest levels of any sport with comparable participation numbers, it takes comparable dedication, and none would be harder or easier than the other.