Old 09-12-19, 08:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I disagree. Perhaps we have a different definition of "competent" but I was being conservative when I said 1 year. Usually it's much less than that. It certainly doesn't take a year to learn the skills necessary to *participate* in a "wide range of group rides" reasonably safely and in a manor that isn't repeatedly disruptive to the group.
I understand your point. But, you have to want to learn. Not enough people do. And, if new riders ride with new riders, not a lot of collected expertise is passed on. In the past my club rides were led by people who had years of experience and knew the finer points. I always learned from them.This year there are a lot of 1-yr riders who are leading rides. They know little. I avoid those rides. One of my riding friends was a very good local racer. He has also spent his life in the bicycle industry. I always say to him, "If you don't listen to me when we talk about football (I was a college QB) you are an idiot. And, if I don't listen to you about cycling, then I'm the idiot." I want people like him in my group. And, I want the people who appreciate his wisdom and want to learn in my group. I'm not interested in being around people who know how to pedal and want to burn calories and that's about it. Just my opinion.