Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The OP's lead in used the word "sport". Sport implies competition. Not commuting to work. Not the group ride. That's transportation or fitness. Not sport.
I don't know quite why, but I am unsettled a bit by how readily some folks call an activity a sport. My motorcycling friends often call motorcycling a sport. My kayak fishing friends often call kayak fishing a sport. My friends who shoot guns and hunt call that a sport. I wonder if 80 year old mall walkers consider that a sport. I'd accept that if they were knocking the snot out of each other trying to get to Macy's first.

While there must be a competitive element for me to consider an activity a sport, that alone doesn't take an activity to the level of a sport. 1/4 mile drag racing is a competitive activity, but not a sport in my view. Fishing tournaments are a competitive activity. If that is a sport, then these are athletes.

It must be a competitive activity involving 2 or more people (see what I did there Strava stars) in which some combination of strength, speed, agility and stamina are required to win.

*please don't take this post overly seriously.
Likes For Paul Barnard: