terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
-what is the typical day temp variation in Mid December. What is the chance of rain?
Typically chilly in the morning, especially in the redwoods. 40s or even 30s overnight. Warming up quickly into the 50s or 60s.

Always a chance of rain in December, especially near the Russian River. It can rain very hard. Santa Rosa averages 13 days of rain in December.

From reading the news Kincade Fire was going through very near the route. It is over but is there a reason to detour around the affected area or all back to normal in 5 weeks?

I don't think the fire will affect any services. The number of structures destroyed has been minimal.

It seems that the route from Bodega Bay to Sausalito is all along hwy1... Is there a shoulder? Is it reasonable route to ride on.
I've ridden this section many times. Some portions don't have much shoulder, but I've never had an issue with overtaking vehicles. If you hold an assertive position on the road, a couple feet inside the fog line, vehicles tend to pass safely instead of trying to squeeze by.

FYI, here's my route for the section between point Reyes Station and Sausalito, via Ridgecrest Road. On a clear day, the views on this route are grand.