View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 04:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Because pads were post mount in the canti era that was another variable that, combined with the straddle cable, could affect the performance of canti brakes, more or less pad projection changed the leverage ratio, plus posts made it more difficult to adjust them, you needed to be an octopus if you didn't know what you were doing.
Not sure this is a fair statement. Early cantis had unthreaded post style pads and so did early v-brakes. I'd think the choice of style of pad had more to do with the vintage of the brake than the style of the brake. so mentioning it as a problem of cantis isn't really fair. I do agree that the pads were s super huge pain to adjust on my early cantis and they were high end MTB stuff, but I'd think I'd have had the same issues with a similar vintage v-brake if they were out at the time (not sure if they were yet). I did learn a few tricks over time that made it easier, but never did grow to like the design when it came to the pad adjustment. Later cantis that I have owned or worked on didn't have those problems and adjustment was easy peasy.