Old 12-25-18, 11:49 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
First of all, thank you to all of you here. I'm relatively new to the C&V world of bicycles, and have dived in head first (acquiring over 15 bikes in the last couple of years with no stop in sight. I never knew it could be this fun. I'm able to combine something nerdy (like this) w/ something utilitarian (commuting to work) and it is a beautiful harmony. I'm not even that big of a bicycle rider, probably averaging 500mi a year or less.

I love learning everything I can and I have already learned so much. Just tonight, I found a great idea on here on how to fix a flat spot in a rim on the cheap. Literally every single topic on this forum is interesting to me. That said, I don't know of a single other person around me that does this (although I'm sure there are some). I see a lot of thread topics around getting together, wrenching on old bikes, shooting the breeze, etc. It all sounds so fun. Something in the 'gentle note' post really resonated with me, primarily that this is a lonely hobby.

That being said, I hope it isn't always that way, and I'm sure I'm responsible for any lack of community I sense. I do really enjoy going to the local co-op and volunteering when I can, and that helps.

I'm curious - do you have a local C&V community or do you primarily go it alone? To those that have a community around this interest, how did that happen and what would you recommend to start? There is so much going for this hobby - cheap bikes (the 'cheap' being optional), exercise and health benefits, alternatives to the car commute grind, and increasing mechanical skills, to name a few.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Can you share with us what area you live in? I would think that bigger metro areas might be demographically superior in creating the possibility of larger numbers of like minded folks to create a fun vintage get together or ride.

Here around Dayton, Ohio - my Dayton Cycling Club Tuesday/Thursday night ride did have one vintage ride but it was 2 years ago. Most folks who participated just brought their rain bikes or back up bikes which more often than not were their first serious road bikes from the 80’s or 90’s. One guy rode a Schwinn Continental that had chrome handlebars and no handlebar tape. He had a Brooks saddle on that bike and for the most part (at least the first 75% of the ride)he kept up with everybody. They slowed the ride pace to a more leisurely 15mph average so as to include everyone.

I rode my 1999 Cannondale R1000 CAAD3 that was set up 1980’s retro with SunTour XC Pro/Superbe Pro/Command Accushift 2x8. The build was so subtle and the component choices were ambiguously not fully old school yet not modern either. The fact that this bike is fast as hell further made it blend in with BMC/Cervelo/Canyon/Madone, Domane/Specialized crowd. My inboard Command shifters stood out to a few, but others had no clue. Luckily the few pacelines that I jumped into I was able to maintain speed, cadence and hold the wheel in front of me and even take pulls at the front with no embarrassing mis-shifts.