View Single Post
Old 12-21-19, 09:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Be careful!

My first recumbent 19 years ago was a BikeE AT. Lots of people love them but I am not one. It was only a few months after buying the AT that I bought a used Linear long wheelbase bike. I put a few hundred miles on the AT but thousands of miles on the Linear. These are my thoughts:
Good Points:
Very easily adjustable for riders of different sizes.
Just about anyone can hop on it and ride off with no difficulty. I kept if for this reason as a "try it out" recumbent until the 3 speed rear hub broke while it was being ridden by one of the test riders. Probably not his fault though as I later learned that BikeE had a batch with questionable rear hubs.
Bad Points:
Not very efficient. It was far easier to propel the much larger Linear which was lighter than the Bike E and had much better gearing. I was faster on the Linear and could ride it much further with the same effort.
Replacement hubs and hub parts are no longer available and haven't been for years. SACHS which became SRAM is notorious for being bad about supplying repair parts. I ended up finding a used hub and restored the AT but still found it to be not worth the trouble so ended up throwing it in a dumpster when nobody I knew was interested in taking if for free.
Some models were recalled by the CPSC back when the company was still in business. Look up BikeE recall at the CPSC website. The defects were serious enough you would not want to buy one that has not been fixed. The company went out of business right around the time of the recall so many were not repaired,