Old 03-01-20, 12:28 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Calling PMP cranks chindogu is missing the point. The invention actually has to work and do the thing it was designed to do. It doesn't mean invention that doesn't work. It means an invention that technically works but is pointless for some other reason. PMP cranks fail on that count, they don't actually work in defeating top dead center, they only work as cranks, but being a crank isn't the invention.
Well, okay, you are right. And I agree 100% about those cranks. But, that said, I wonder if you're missing something as well. There are reports, aren't there, of racers who claimed the PMP cranks helped them spin more effectively? They are mistaken, of course, but that's beside the point. So what I mean to ask is: if the problem is real, and the improvement is all in your head, then is the solution bogus or real?

Back in the early 80's I fiddled with ways to get a shifter onto my brake lever. I almost got it working by putting a down tube style shifter on the boss that holds the turkey levers on Weinmann/dia-compe brake levers. I never got a satisfactory setup but I was sure it would be a great thing. Well Sure enough Shimano invented brifters and now everyone has them. But I find they don't actually make riding a better experience. They are overly complicated, expensive, and they kill my hands on long rides. I don't use them any more. I know they're popular, but I think chindogu for sure.