View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 09:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Possible issue I'm seeing is that there doesn't seem to be a way of adjusting for axle width, where the axle goes flips for front vs rear but what size rear. Will it do 142 or 148 both of which are very common today.
While 142 and 148 may be common today, they are also likely to be through axle which is a whole kettle of other fish for even expensive truing stands to deal with. Even if the hubs were quick release in that width, it’s only 7mm and 13mm difference. 7mm is 1/4” while 13 mm is 1/2”. The truing stand can’t be very stiff given the construction so it should be able to spring the 7mm. 13mm might be a stretch but not by much.

Originally Posted by 408mopar
I'm thinking of buying one. I've used a Parks Tool version (I don't know the model no.), and it was nice. Looking at their website, even the Home Mechanic model is $131.95.

Is this one good? https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Profes...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I only do my own rims and those of a couple friends. I can imagine it's a bit more delicate than the sturdy Park stand, but I'm not "tough on stuff".
I built many wheels with a Minoura truing stand like this one. It harder to work with than a Park truing stand but it does work. The one you are looking at looks a little flimsier but not by much. You’ll need a dishing tool or just turn the wheel around to check dish but it’s workable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!