Old 04-06-20, 10:15 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Drum brakes. Not Discs and especially not rim brakes.
The 20" folding bike as an example again - I am already seeing rim wear on that bike. I knew that was going to happen, but I didn't expect to see it as quick as I have. That is a bit of a learning experience, however I am not concerned with it now. As it progresses I will keep tabs on it and build a new wheel set when the time comes, unless the frame shows signs of fatigue etc then it might be more of a retirement/replacement of the whole bike. I hope not. My point, though - for loaded touring (on any bike) I wouldn't consider any kind of rim brake. My upright touring bike is a Disk Trucker. I weighed the pros/cons of both rim and disk and decided to go with disks. I'm glad I did - they handle hard stops with loads and still work well in the rain. Adding weight with anything (vehicle weight or gear weight, it all rolls on the same wheels) only exacerbates what the brakes do.

Between drums and disks - what is the downfall of disks that drums help with? I suppose I should clarify my perspective here - I am speaking solely in respect to bikes (pedal powered transportation), not motor cycles, cars, and trucks = traditional lever on a handlebar actuation that you find on normal bikes. For the most part that implies mechanical/cable actuation, as opposed to hydraulic, however I know there are bike-style hydraulic systems also.