View Single Post
Old 09-23-13, 09:37 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

As ultra-light bike tourists go I'm not that "ultra", but the image above is a week's worth of gear including camping, cooking and purifying water. I tour in Canada so summer still requires a cold weather gear and that's in there as well as rain gear.

Forget that it's a mountain bike. You can use the same approach on a road bike or cyclocross bike.

If you are staying in hostels or couch surfing and eating cold meals or buying prepared foods you can drop a bunch of stuff I have in those bags.

My transition from 4 panniers + handlebar bag + stuff on top of my racks to this took some time, but the most effective thing I did was buy small bags and force myself to only take what I could fit inside.

Even when camping deep in the backcountry I don't wish I had more stuff with me.
Nice bikepacking rig. Seeing it and the scenery tempts me to get off road more than I do.; on 25mm tires I'm pretty much restricted to well groomed trails. I'm sure regular bike tourists are going to be using more bikepacking luggage in the future. However, the handlbar bags/rolls can be difficult to use with drop bars and I'll never take to using a backpack for anything other than emergencies like needing somewhere to carry that 6 pack.