View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 10:34 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Enough speed? Have you worked out the top gearing of the 1x Cutthroat? You might find yourself spinning. The Cutthroat is no lightweight either, at a quoted 23 lbs 4 oz for a large, and that's even with the lighter one-ring crank. A road bike it is not.

Can you list your specific requirements in a list?
Good points on the weight and the spinning and I certainly realize it will not have the same nimble feeling or quick acceleration of my carbon roadie.

No, I don't have a list of requirements. Part of the problem I think - should probably put one together. That said, I got to see a couple of Surly Midnight Specials and All City Gorilla Monsoons early this year and that idea appealed to me - the road bike that could accommodate large tires - and handle trails and gravel. But that first impression didn't last long - both gone from the shops in a flash.

I also need to take some test rides longer than 10 minutes. Salsa and Surly have one locally this weekend where I can do a little more thrashing on the Cutthroat and Giant follows suit on the 23rd at which point I can try a Revolt and a Defy. A small 'risk' is the Cutthroat not being in stock if I wait that long but it's not on sale now and it's not like they won't make a 2019 version.