View Single Post
Old 08-10-20, 09:20 AM
MassCommuter

Bikes: 1984/85 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1992 Trek 970; 1993 Burley Rock n' Roll tandem; 2007 Cannondale F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
​​Since you weren't around in 1971, you may be forgiven for not knowing that the Schwinn Varsity was a piece of junk, as unterhausen has explained. Take it from someone who has actually ridden one.
No need to forgive, I've got a 1970s Varsity hanging on the wall of my garage. It's a good beater, and I stand by what I said about it's durability.

I'll give a couple more examples from that same garage: My son (born in 99) has an '84 LeTour that cost $229 new (about $550 in today's dollars). Smooth ride, relatively light weight, chromoly frame, Sugino cranks, Suntour ARX derailleurs, Weinman rims - all decent, durable componentry and built in the U.S. from a mixture of domestic, European and Japanese parts. There's no way you'd find that quality today for a comparable price. Whenever he brings it to campus he makes his classmates all jelly.

I also have an '84/85 Schwinn Voyageur SP - top of the line touring bike in its day. Cost about $450 new, or $1,100 today. Columbus tubing, Suntour Superbe and LeTech parts, Super Champion Touring Rims, Cinelli bars and stem - all first rate parts for the time. Again, you're not going to find anything close to that today for a grand.

Last edited by MassCommuter; 08-10-20 at 09:29 AM.