Old 04-05-21, 08:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Similar topic - is it normal for tubeless tires to lose air much more rapidly than tubed tires? I've had this same problem with two different sets of tires now. Tires (33mm Vittoria Terreno Mix with Orange Seal) are pumped up to around 40-50psi, then losing about half their psi over 24-36hrs and are completely flat after a week of sitting.

New tape, and the sealant is also new (2 weeks ago), but I'm wondering if I need to add a little more? Maybe my valve stems are not on tight enough causing slow leaks? Or is this just normal for tubeless?

The air loss seems pretty equal front/rear.
As noted upthread, the answer is that it depends. It depends on tire construction type, weather conditions, sealant composition, how the tire and sealant were set up, and weather the tire has been punctured.

In general, though, I’d say air loss rate is slightly higher than butyl tubes. Any tubeless tire properly set up should hold decent pressure for many weeks, maybe months. Actual riding pressure, or very close to it, should hold a week pretty easily in my experience, but it depends. Probably in hot, dry conditions pressure holds better than in the cold.

Be sure to use enough sealant, for unlined tires, to thoroughly coat the casing, and rotate the tires to achieve that. I do a couple of applications a day apart before I’m satisfied the tire is perfectly set up. I use the recommended amount the first time to coat and seal the casing, then check how much liquid is left in the morning before adding a bit for emergency sealing duty. I have Rene Herse rubber which totally sucked up 2 shots of sealant in two days before holding liquid. Crazy.

Last edited by chaadster; 04-05-21 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For chaadster: