Old 03-09-24, 09:10 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
25,000KM? Pfft, thats nothing.
My concrete wheels will last at least 50,000KM and STILL roll faster and more comfortably than Marathon Plus tires. Come back and brag when your frozen hose tires reach 50,000KM!
The problem is when you are doing a loaded tour, you need a tire that will wear a long time while hauling an additional 60 or more pounds of gear, and getting flat on a loaded bike is sort of a drag, so you want to prevent that as much as possible. But for riding around America those Marathon Tour Plus tires are an extreme overkill...in my opinion. Now if you were doing an expedition type of tour and will be out in the Outback far from a bike shop then maybe those tires would be idea, plus a couple of backup tires! I have ran into people touring across the US that had those Marathon Plus tires, I just don't see the point, I would rather give up some flat protection with a more comfortable riding tire, and one that takes less energy to keep them moving, and one that can go at least 6,000 miles, but I also don't want a frail tire either, so in my opinion the Schwalbe Almotion tire fulfills that niche with a bit of a cheat that I mentioned. Everyone has a different expectation of the tire they want to use, so I'm not right or wrong in my decision just as someone who wants to use the Marathon Plus Tour are also not right or wrong, it's all about what you are comfortable with using.

My old Marathon Greenguards were like riding on concrete wheels! That's why I didn't go back to that sort of tire.
Likes For rekmeyata: